Finding the Right Finishing Solution to Streamline Your Workflow
In a recent packagePRINTING webinar, "Streamlining Your Digital Workflow with In-line Finishing" sponsored by Durst Image Technology, Ron Nagy, GM at MPI/Labeltek and Mike Bacon, VP of sales and marketing at Spartanics discussed the advantages of pairing a digital press with in-line finishing, what factors need to be considered when making the decision to transition to this workflow and what the process is like to make the transition.
Bacon began the discussion highlighting the differences between laser and semi-rotary diecutting, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of off-line finishing in comparison to in-line finishing. Before making a decision to transition to any of the types of finishing discussed, Bacon poses four crucial business questions to explore:
- Do you need flexibility?
- Do you need format changes for short runs?
- What is your labor situation?
- Do you want to funnel more work to finishing?
It's important to analyze your business needs before jumping into a finishing solution, and Bacon gave attendees a lot to consider.
On a more personal level, Nagy discussed MPI's experience with various forms of finishing, including semi-rotary, full rotary, laser and digital. He also made it clear that there are distinct advantages and disadvantages for finishing solutions, but said that there are some factors that may help the decision process:
- Know who you are so you don't get in over your head.
- Do research — you have to figure out what you can get, who you are and what you want to do with the technology.
- Ask the right questions — you can't get the right answers unless you ask the right questions.
- Evaluate your personnel skill set in production and sales.
- Be prepared for challenges.
- Calculate the strength of patience and perseverance in your organization.
- Consider your financial strength.
Although Nagy and Bacon discussed various forms of finishing technology in comparison to in-line digital finishing, both stressed the importance of taking time to figure out what solution is right for your business. It's also important to stay informed, as the market evolves, so too does the technology.
"The market is changing," Nagy said. "What we're preparing for today is changing already, it makes it exciting and fun."
For more information on streamlining your digital workflow with in-line finishing, or advice on how to make the transition, listen to the full webinar here. Or, take some time to explore one of the many other educational webinars offered by packagePRINTING here.